On My Way Home

As the rain came pelting down, the car windows kept steaming up. The rhythm of the windshield wipers acted like a hypnotic metronome keeping time to the raindrops and the fog.I was driving my new (to me) Karmann Ghia. I had just purchased it a month ago and hadn’t yet made the first payment.  The car was German-made and imported directly from Germany. The body lines vaguely resembled the lines of the historic Corvair. It had a five-speed transmission, front-wheel drive, and an engine in the rear.

It was Monday morning and the big 18-wheelers kept flying by going in the other direction. It seemed they must be going faster than the posted fifty-five miles per hour. I had to hang on tight each time when their backwind covered me with water and I could feel the front end of my car lifting slightly. All my weight was in the back.

Music played softly as I drove on the curbed Iowa highway. I was heading back home to Madison, Wi. I had to be at work this morning. Good friends and I had spent time together the night before. We had stayed up until the wee hours telling stories and drinking wine.

When I awakened at 6 AM, to get in the car and travel to work in Madison, I was exhausted and in no mood to be awake. As I thought about the evening, my mind drifted to the fun we’d had and how tired I was.

The next thing I remember is waking up with my car traveling down the middle of the deserted, rain-soaked highway. I took hold of the steering wheel and yanked it hard to get it back into my lane. I over corrected and the car went down into the shoulder, hitting an embankment and taking all the glass out of the right side. I jerked again and this time my car swerved back onto the road and crossed the highway. I drove into the left-hand embankment and took all off the glass out of the left side. I swerved again and did two complete circles on the slippery highway. My car again went into the right-hand ditch and turned over on its’ side.

WOW…what just happened? Was I alive? Was I dead? One yes, and one no. I was strapped into my seat but all my possessions were scattered across the corn field ahead.

I had to crawl up and out of the window that no longer existed.  With the power of the crash, I lost my shoes, my ring and the glasses I was wearing.

As I stood ankle deep in mud, I realized that nothing hurt so I must be fine. The backs of my legs were embedded with glass chards and my nylon stockings were in ribbons. I walked slowly up the bank, soaking wet and looked for a car to flag down. A   farmer driving a flatbed truck came along and pulled over. He said “hop in and I’ll drive you into town to the police station.” I did and was grateful to leave the view of my cute new car resembling a pile of metal.

The farmer asked if I was all right. I said I was. He said it was a miracle because the car clearly was a mess. He pulled into the Highway Patrol Office and let me out. I thanked him and went inside. A very kind Trooper greeted me and asked if he could help. The officer drove me back to the site of the accident. He asked me questions all the way. I must have been a sight, no shoes, covered in mud and soaking wet. When we got to the accident site, the officer let out a groan. He said that I was lucky to be alive. Looking at the car, I realized both axles were broken, all the glass was gone and my little car was toast! I gave the officer the details and when I finished, he said he wasn’t going to give me a ticket. He figured I had enough to deal with already. I could have kissed him.

Now what? I was out of state. My parents didn’t know where I was and I was really going to be late for work. My problems were just beginning!

Who is Judy

Click here to check out other Sidetracked opinions

Click here to listen to the Sidetracked Legacies podcast

#sidetrackedsisters #sidetrackedjudy #sidetrackedlegacies #carcrash #caraccident #accidents #foggynight

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.