If mom is the queen of procrastination, then I’m the Princess of procrastination. There is only one thing in my life that I ever remember doing ahead of time and that was an assignment back in fifth grade! Since then, I’m the type that does everything last minute. Even getting ready to have kids – I didn’t even have my maternity bag packed before I went into labor. Someone always had to bring me stuff after the fact. For all three kids!!
I usually try to plan out what I’m going to do ahead of time, but those plans always change and I find myself doing everything BUT what I’m supposed to be working on.
I’m sure there are others out there like me. I know my mom is like me. Luckily, my kids aren’t as bad as I am. I am getting better in regard to some things, but most things – I put off.
What’s the expression? “Why do today, what you can put off till tomorrow?” I think that sums up my life. I like to say that I work best under pressure.
I’ve pulled all-nighters for:
- Getting ready for a family holiday
- Christmas shopping on December 24th
- Starting a 10-page report the night before it’s due
- Buying a dress for a dance the night before
- Painting the kitchen chairs the night I go into labor
- Creating crafts for a home show at my house
- Cleaning the house before numerous events
You name it – I’ve put it off.
I’d like to get better at that. I’d like to NOT put things off. I’m sure it would be much less stressful, but then where would the fun be in that?!